Saturday, April 11, 2009

Good News Friday

Yesterday was Good Friday. My local church Pastor Karl Silva began aptly when he said the day was as much a Good News Friday as it was Good Friday. This day, 2000 years ago, God the Father "gave His only begotten Son, so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Imagine eating out at a restaurant and running up a huge bill you cannot foot. A man walks by and sees your plight. He has compassion for you. Out of grace, he approaches the manager and volunteers to pay your bill, so that you can walk away free!

The manager will then stamp the bill with "PAID IN FULL" That Saviour is Jesus Christ, the Son of God - or God the Son. And Jesus not only died on the Cross to pay for your sins as much as mine, but on the third day (Easter Sunday), he also walked out of his grave alive in a resurrected body that cannot be damaged, killed or destroyed. He has not died since then and is alive and living in heaven, seated at the right-hand side of God the Father.

So if you want to be sure of going to heaven when you die, pray this simple prayer, but with a genuinely repentant heart. God will begin the beautiful process of change in you.
"Father God, I confess that I am a sinner. I have committed sins against you. I do not deserve to be forgiven. I cannot pay for my sins on my own. I need someone who can do that for me. Lord, I want to go to heaven when I die. But as your Word - the Bible - says, if I die as a sinner, I cannot go to heaven. I would go to hell to suffer forever in the lake of fire. But Lord thank you for sending your Son Jesus as a human being 2000 years ago to pay for my sins. Lord I believe that he died to pay the penalty for my sins and the price for my forgiveness; I believe that Jesus was buried and he rose again. Lord, wash me clean with the precious Blood that he shed on the Cross. Fill me with your Holy Spirit and make me the person You want me to be. Take me to heaven when I die. Save me, Lord. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen."

Start attending a Bible-believing church
and study the Bible everyday, starting with the Book of John or Mark. Pray everyday. Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you how to do so. Your life will change for the better, for good. I should know. Mine has.

No comments:

Post a Comment